Saturday, July 16, 2011

Hipsta-fun



This is at the W in downtown Austin. I was waiting for a friend to finish her meeting and join me. Meanwhile, my car was parked under the tree where apparently every bird in Austin lives and getting crapped on. It was of Biblical proportions. No photo of that, I am still too traumatized. After a $55 car detail it is slowly becoming a distant memory.

Anyway, anyone who knows me knows that I have something of a one-track mind. And for the past 7 months I've been on the jewelry design track. I'm still wholeheartedly on that track (www.isabelborland.com) but am slowly reintroducing other things. Yesterday it was the Hipstamatic app which has been around forever and I'm not sure why I never downloaded it before. Apparently apps, like parking, is a category I am irrationally cheap about.

So what I love so far about the Hipsta-app is how it encourages me to focus on simple formal considerations, abstracting things into shapes and colors. But I haven't yet mastered the unpredictable nature of framing the photos - its a crap shoot and a gift when things do come out as I intended. Not unlike the old days when you'd get your prints back and most of them were nothing like the shot you thought you were taking, but instead included 5 feet to the right and below that were not in the viewfinder.  

No comments:

Post a Comment