Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Lark

I sometimes get nostalgic for LA and since many of my readers are LA-based, an LA post now and then seems fitting. Especially on a slow Austin day.

















There are great cupcakes in Austin, but there is something special about the retro-inspired Lark cakes.

The big fluffy one in front is an "icebox cupcake" made with stacks of chocolate wafers and whipped cream. My mother made this cake once or twice when I was little, saying her mother made it all the time - "a classic 50s no-bake dessert". Always a favorite.

Tucked behind it is a caramel cupcake with burnt sugar icing. Heaven. The innocent-looking one in the back is stuffed with custard.

















This is a terrible photo, but I just loved the idea. A bakery wall decorated with paper cake doilies tacked up with bright pins. Sculptural and playful and simple and sweet, like Lark cakes.

A good friend (you know who you are!) and I would make Lark dates. We'd walk down the hill and sit and eat cupcakes together. I miss you Lark!

Lark
3337 W. Sunset Boulevard, LA, CA 90026
323-667-2968
www.larkcakeshop.com

No comments:

Post a Comment